The Siberian Transport University is among the largest scientific and educational centers in Siberia.
Today STU has all the facilities needed for training high skilled staff on 10 faculties:
Х Railway Transportation Management
Х Railway Construction
Х Bridges and Tunnels
Х Building and road machines
Х Civil Engineering
Х Engineering Economics
Х International Business and Law
Х Human Resource Management
Х Information Technologies in Business
Х Distance learning
At present STU is training about 12,000 students and post-graduates.
The final stage of training is working out and submitting dissertations.
STU has highly-qualified staff. 45 departments employ 538 lecturers, of which 25 are professors and 15 are correspondent members of different academies.
A lot of attention is given to professional development for lecturers in modern technology, to internships at scientific centers and the most advanced enterprises of the industry. The training takes place at the Institute of Professional Development.
The University has had a post-graduate course since 1958 and a doctor's degree course since 1994. There are 7 Doctorate and Candidate Degree Councils at SGUPS. It has a license to train post-graduates in 25 and those reading for a Doctor's degree in four majors. At present there are about 200 post-graduates and those reading for a Doctor's degree at the University.
The University comprises two institutes:
-Institute of Perspective Transport Technologies and Professional Development
-Institute of Complex Research of Transport Systems (part of the Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences)
STU has a branch in Tomsk, Belovo, Novoaltaisk and Novosibirsk.
STU has following facilities needed for training skilled staff:
Scientific Technical Library
Scientific Technical library was founded in 1932 and supporting educational, scientific and cultural work if students and employees of Siberian Transport University.
The library's structure consists of 18 departments, and there are the following among of them:
- five book-borrowing divisions: scientific literature, educational literature (with two points of service), fiction and for the external students
- seven reading rooms: humanitarian literature, technical literature, reference literature, valuable editions with Museum of books, periodicals, recent editions and general with computerized reading room.
Serving of readers in book-borrowing divisions and in the reading rooms is running in automated conditions.
The total book fund is over 1,045,000 items, including:
-Scientific literature-302,000 items;
-Educational literature-338,000 items.
The library funds are universal. The library stores more than 4,000 rare and valuable copies, unique sets of magazines dating back to the 18th-19th centuries.
Every year library:
- serves about 15,000 readers;
- receives about 448,000 visitors;
- gives over 1,040,000 items out;
- gives over 31,000 consultations
The University campus area is more than 130 thousand sq.m.
|Х Academic Blocks |
- main academic block
- laboratory block
- training workshops
- Institute of Prospective Transport Technologies and Staff Retraining
Х Training Grounds
- a railway training ground equipped with a locomotive, carriages, VPRS-02 track machine; a unique stand for crash testing of the rolling stock is being created in order to test its durability and proneness to damage
- geodesic training ground
Х Student Campus
(28,713 sq.m. total)
- seven dormitories (gyms, study rooms, furnished lounges with computers and home appliances) accommodate 2,000 students
- comfortable hotel
- health care facilities
- polyclinic branch of the Novosibirsk Railway Hospital
Х Computer Equipped Classrooms
The University has over 37 computer-equipped classrooms with the Internet access to various educational programs. The number of computers available is 1,270. More than 1,000 are used in class; 700 are joined into the local network with the Internet access.
Х Sport Facilities
- skiing centers
- a modern 25x11.4m swimming pool (6 lanes, children's aqua slide, entertainment pools and a massage room)
- a gym (a room for sports games, a wrestling room, a weight-lifting room, an exercise room)
- a stadium with the total area of 17,850 sq.m
- a mini-football field
- tracks and playgrounds
- an open-air tennis court with two playgrounds
- a complex football/volleyball/basketball playground
- gyms in dormitories and academic blocks
- Food factory
- Dessert bar
- "Rossijanka" cafe
- Diet bar
- Cafe in Dormitory 4
- Cafe in the gym
- Canteen in the laboratory block